FusionPBX for ex-Trixbox users

This blog is intended to be read in sequential order as it is a series of steps that I followed to build a fully functioning fusionpbx phone system. However you might just need to find out how to do a particular thing so you might want to use the search box below to find that specific step. Please give feedback - if you know a better way to do something share it!

Thursday, August 5

A word on numbering schemes

This post is a later addition that I am submitting in the order that you would need it rather than when I wrote it.  Before setting up your phone system you need to decide on a numbering scheme.

When I was using asterisk I used 3 digit extensions and I used *xxx for special functions such as toggling day/night switches and I used *xx for trunk overrides so that I could force a call through a particular gateway.  However this doesn't work with FusionPBX as using *anything is fraught with difficulties caused by the default dial plan and pre-defined functions - so just don't try to use * for anything of your own and you'll be far better off.

Pre-defined in the dial plan is the ability to work with 3, 4 or 5 digit extensions.  Therefore if you have a small implementation you might want to consider 3 digit extensions and allocate the last 100 (ie. 900-999) to be special functions such as toggling day/night switches, short dial sequences, etc.  If you have a larger implementation you might want to have 4 or 5 digit extensions and to use the entire 3 digit range for special functions.

Whatever you decide, document the ranges you are going to use and be consistent.  It will make your job a lot easier and might save you some of the pain I had to go through in moving from Trixbox to FusionPBX.

No comments:

Post a Comment